Unit 1 Short Stories Summative.
Answering short story questions in 1 paragraph each per question ( super simple like 3-5 sentences. ALL SHORT STORIES CAN BE FOUND ON INTERNET
story #1 questions: Transients in Arcadia
1. Research the words “Transients” and “Arcadia” and then discuss the appropriateness of the short story’s title. (Write your answer below.)
2. What was your reaction (what you were thinking and feeling) to the opening paragraphs of the story and the emphasis on description of the setting? What do you think O. Henry was trying to accomplish? (Write your answer below.)
3. How does O. Henry establish Madame Beaumont as a member of high society and therefore an acceptable guest in the Hotel Lotus? To what degree does he use the same techniques with Harold Farrington? Leaving the question of wealth aside, are the two characters portrayed as suitable guests? Explain. (Write your answer below.)
4. Were you surprised by the confessions from Madame Beaumont and Mr. Farrington? Why or why not? (Write your answer below.)
5. O.Henry’s writing often includes coincidences and irony. How does he use these devices in this story? Be sure to use specific references to the text. (Write your answer below.)
story #2: questions: A Pair of Silk Stockings
1. a. i)What details is the reader given about Mrs. Sommers’ life before her shopping trip?
a. ii) Explain how these details are important to the story’s meaning. (Example topic sentence: A number of details are given about Mrs. Sommers’ life before her shopping trip that are important to the story’s meaning.)
b. Mrs. Sommers “did not wish to act hastily, to do anything she might afterward regret.” Find the point in the story where she abandons her careful planning. Based on what you know about Mrs. Sommers’ character, and about people in general, do you find this shift convincing? Why or why not?
c. Reread the final paragraph of the story. What is the impact of closing the story in this manner?
d. This story was published in 1894. In your view, does it have any relevance for today’s readers? Explain.
e. Write a character analysis of Mrs. Sommers. Focus on three main traits that she demonstrates in the story, but make sure that you include two traits that are contradictory based on how Mrs. Sommers changes in the story.
[Include specific references to details that illustrate the *dynamic nature of her character. Do you think these changes are temporary or permanent? (*A dynamic character is one who undergoes a significant and permanent change in personality or beliefs.)]
story #3: questions: The Spaces Between Stars
1. Explain how the first paragraph symbolically captures one of the main themes of the story.
2. Why does Maya both envy and resent Evan?
3. Throughout her life, Maya has relied on others to give her a sense of direction. Do you think this is still true at the end of the story? Explain.
4. Discuss whether you were able to connect with the story, and whether that, in turn, affected your enjoyment of it.
5. Critical Thinking In “The Spaces Between Stars,” author Geeta Kothari explores some issues related to the mingling of different cultures. What are the main problems and challenges in Maya and Evan’s marriage, and what solutions appear at the end of the story?
story #4: questions: Two Words
Answer using full paragraphs.
1. Why do you think Belisa decides to help the Colonel, despite his murderous reputation? (Include at least three reasons.)
2. “Two Words” contains many elements of Magical realism. Magical realism is a style of fiction that paints a realistic view of the modern world while also adding magical, unreal or fantastic elements. Identify at least three examples of magical realism in “Two Words”.
3. Identify one example of each of the following literary devices:
Then, explain what the device adds to the story or how it helps the reader in some way
4. Creative Writing: From the Colonel’s point of view, write a journal entry that explains how Belisa has transformed him. Include the two words she has revealed to him, and the impact they have.
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
All ourbpapers are written from scratch. In fact, Clients who ask for paraphrasing services are highly discouraged. We have writers ready to craft any paper from scratch and deliver quality ahead of time.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
Our writers keeps you posted on your papers progress - providing you with paper outline/draft. You are also at liberty to communicate directly with your writer.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time, in many cases quite ahead of time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.