There are many things that gaming industries should consider in developing gamin applications like :
- Windows Application Verifier:- It provides multiple function in one tools. It is design to test common programming error more efifciently. It can check log changes to the registry and the file system, check the parameters that are passes to the API call, it insert many input to check error handling ability. It helps the developer to develop a quality product.
- Fuzz Testing:- It enhance the current testing methodologies because its a semi automated method of testing. it test the network data, mod, and saved games by inputing random inputs. It input randow bytes, adjcent bytes, flipping that are good in finding security holes. Fuzz testing is easy to implement and it is not exhausting task.
- Buffer security check:- it check for stack based buffer that are exploited to overwrite the return address of a function.
- Threat Modeling Analysis
- Data Execution Prevention (/NX)
- Authenticode SigningMinimize Privileges.
Teslacrypt can be mitigated, the ESET has released a decryption tool that can decrypt the teslacrypt affected files. The affect of ransomware on games is not very effective because the new games are designed so that their saved files, configuration files etc. are saved on cloud so if they get affected then the user can recover those files form the cloud.