Assignment 2: Critical Comparison Essay
(45 marks, 20%)
In this assignment, you are required to develop an 800-word critical comparison of two articles. You can choose any two of the following articles for your critical comparison essay. Make sure your essay is formatted in the proper APA style.
Bennett, S., Maton, K., & Kervin, L. (2008). The ‘digital natives’ debate: A critical review of the evidence. British Journal of Educational Technology, 39(5), 775-786.
Bullen, M., Morgan, T., & Qayyum, A. (2011). Digital learners in higher education:
Generation is not the issue. Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology, 37(1), 1-24. Retrieved from http://www.cjlt.ca/
Jones, C., & Healing, G. (2010). Net generation students: Agency and choice and the new technologies. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 26, 344-356. doi:
Margaryan, A., Littlejohn, A., & Vojt, G. (2011). Are digital natives a myth or reality?
University students’ use of digital technologies. Computers & Education, 56,
429-440. doi: 10.1016/j.compedu.2010.09.004
As you will see in these articles, the concept of “digital natives/immigrants” proposed by Marc Prensky, whose argument we have worked with in the lessons in Unit 2, is a much debated topic by scholars in education and technology. The authors of these articles come into conversations with Prensky’s argument in various ways.
You are encouraged to use the Reverse Outline Template, Critical Thinking Questions, and Identifying Issues and Debate Template discussed in Unit 2 to develop your critical comparison essay.
Please submit your planning documents with your final essay; be sure to review grading criteria prior to submission.
You should not complete Assignment 2 until you have completed the lessons in Unit 2 in their entirety.
A2-2 Assignment 2: Critical Comparison Essay
Marking Guide (45 marks)
Does Not Meet Expectations
Structure and Style
The student accurately uses the required APA format for setting up the essay. There is logical and appropriate overall organization. Academic tone is applied. (5 marks)
• Excellent use of APA formatting
• Judicious arrangement of ideas
• Unifying effect or controlling idea is successfully sustained and integrated
• Good use of APA
• Purposeful arrangement of ideas
• Unifying effect or controlling idea coherently sustained
• Satisfactory use of APA formatting
• Straightforward arrangement of ideas
• Unifying effect or controlling idea is presented and maintained, but coherence may falter
• APA formatting does not meet expectations
• Discernable but ineffectual arrangement of ideas
• Unifying effect or controlling idea is inconsistently maintained
There is evidence of critical thinking about the content to identify key ideas. The essay emphasizes exploring key ideas rather than summary of each article.
• Ideas are insightful and carefully considered, demonstrating a
comprehension of subtle distinctions
• Ideas are thoughtful and considered, demonstrating a competent comprehension
• Ideas are relevant and straightforward, demonstrating a generalized comprehension
• Ideas are superficial or oversimplified, demonstrating a weak comprehension
Effective comparison is developed, with clearly defined points of comparison and a logical overall goal for the thesis.
• Insightful and detailed comparison with a complex support of the thesis
• Thoughtful and considered comparison with a competent support of the thesis
• Relevant and straightforward comparison linked to the thesis
• Superficial or oversimplified comparison that may not support the thesis
There is a welldeveloped critical response that shows evidence of addressing several elements of the articles, including arguments, assumptions, and conclusions. (10 marks)
• Critical response insightfully addresses several complex elements of the articles’ arguments, assumptions, and conclusions
• Critical response thoughtfully addresses several elements of the articles’ arguments, assumptions, and conclusions
• Critical response addresses several elements
of the articles’ arguments, assumptions, and conclusions
• Critical response superficially addresses some elements of the articles’ arguments, assumptions, and conclusions
ENGL 1101: Introduction to University Writing A2-3
Does Not Meet Expectations
There is clear evidence of effective paragraph structure, including effective introduction and strong topic sentences. (5 marks)
• A judicious arrangement of ideas and details contributes to a fluent discussion
• The unifying effect or controlling idea is clearly articulated in an organized manner
• A purposeful arrangement of ideas and details contributes to a controlled comparison
• The unifying effect or controlling idea is coherently articulated
straightforward arrangement of ideas and details provides direction for the comparison
• The unifying effect or controlling idea
is present; however, coherence may
• A discernible but ineffectual arrangement of ideas and details supports an underdeveloped comparison
• The unifying effect or controlling idea inconsistent
Vocabulary is appropriate for academic writing. Attributive verbs are used throughout the essay to refer to ideas of the authors. (5 marks)
• Skillful stylistic choices contribute to an academic tone, clarity of content, and a convincing voice
• Attributive verbs are wellintegrated throughout the summary
• No or very few grammatical/us age/punctuation errors
• Stylistic choices contribute to an academic tone, clarity of content, and an appropriate voice
• Attributive verbs are used throughout to refer to ideas of the author
grammatical/us age/punctuatio n errors
• An academic
tone and style are applied
• Attributive verbs are used throughout the summary to
refer to ideas of the author
• Several grammatical/usa ge/punctuation errors
• Ideas may not be clearly expressed
• Tone may not be appropriate for an academic
• Attributive verbs may not be
• Grammatical/ usage/ punctuation errors impede understanding of the assignment
All required planning templates have been submitted. They show detailed evidence of critical thinking and essay planning to support the final product. (10 marks)
• Planning documents show detailed
evidence of critical thinking and planning
• Planning documents show evidence
of critical thinking and planning
• Planning documents have been submitted
• Planning documents may not match final essay
Total marks out of 45 =_______
A2-4 Assignment 2: Critical Comparison Essay
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
All ourbpapers are written from scratch. In fact, Clients who ask for paraphrasing services are highly discouraged. We have writers ready to craft any paper from scratch and deliver quality ahead of time.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
Our writers keeps you posted on your papers progress - providing you with paper outline/draft. You are also at liberty to communicate directly with your writer.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time, in many cases quite ahead of time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.