Unit 2 Short Stories Summative.
Answering short story questions in 1 paragraph each per question ALL SHORT STORIES CAN BE FOUND ON INTERNET
STORY#1: Brother Dear
Discuss how trying to accommodate parents’ wishes can create conflict as young adults try to establish their own dreams.
Reread the story carefully, considering the perspective of a character other than the sister. As you read, jot down your views and reactions as if you were this character. Then rewrite a portion of the narrative from your chosen character’s perspective. [What you are going to do is to take a scene in the story where your chosen character is not saying or doing too much to rewrite from that character’s perspective. What are they seeing, but more importantly, what are they thinkingduring the scene in the story? You can imagine that you are writing out the “sound track”of the character’s thoughts. How might they describe other characters and how might they react to what they hear.] Maximum length one page typed double spaced.
How do decisions, actions, and consequences vary depending on the different perspectives of the people involved? (Use two examples from the story and one from your own experience.)
STORY#2: A MARKER ON THE SIDE OF THE BOAT
1. Reread the first paragraph of the story. What does it suggest about the narrator’s feelings about the city of Hanoi?
2. What do you think is the predominant mood of this story? Select one passage that you think truly captures this mood and give reasons for your choice.
3. Explain the significance of the story’s title.
4. Find at least one example of irony in the story.
5.Focus on ContextDiscuss the background information provided on Bao Ninh. Speculate on why Ninh wrote this story, and who his original audience was. How does the context in which you read the story-in a Canadian classroom, decades after the war-affect your appreciation of it?
6. Language FocusDescriptive Language. Identify three passages in the story that, in your view, contain
the most striking examples of effective descriptive language. For each of your examples, point out and explain the purpose behind the description and the specific techniques the author uses to achieve that purpose. Which different senses does the author appeal to?
STORY#3: A HANDFUL OF DATES
Analyze and Interpret
1. Produce three diary entries (maximum 150 words each). Placing yourselves in the story just after the date-picking, one of you will write as the narrator, the second as the grandfather, and the third as Masood. (The emphasis in your diary entry should be on the inner thoughts and feelings of each of these characters as opposed to retelling the story.)
ANSWER 2 OR 3
2. The author, Tayeb Salih, has developed the physical and social setting of this story in great detail. Isolate 7 specific features of the setting and indicate in writing how each adds to your comprehension of the selection and the effectiveness of the story.
3. This story has a powerful dénouement, in which the narrator’s feelings change suddenly and dramatically. Why does he react so strongly to his grandfather’s actions? What feelings does the end of the story evoke in you?
STORY#4: ON THE RAINY RIVER
1. a. In your own words, summarize the reasons the narrator gives for his opposition to the Vietnam War.
b. The narrator’s job at the Armour Meat Factory in some ways anticipates the experience of fighting in Vietnam. How?
Do you think the author was right to include the graphic descriptions of the slaughterhouse? Explain.
c. In your opinion, does the reader need to have a personal knowledge of the issues regarding the Vietnam War to appreciate this story? Why or why not?
d. Reread the opening paragraph of the story. Now that you have read the whole account, why do you think the narrator waited so long to tell his story?
e. In your opinion, should he have accepted his draft notice, or should he have sought sanctuary in Canada as a draft-dodger?
2. Write about the role that Elroy plays in the plot of the story as well as his symbolic significance in the story.
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
All ourbpapers are written from scratch. In fact, Clients who ask for paraphrasing services are highly discouraged. We have writers ready to craft any paper from scratch and deliver quality ahead of time.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
Our writers keeps you posted on your papers progress - providing you with paper outline/draft. You are also at liberty to communicate directly with your writer.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time, in many cases quite ahead of time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.