• Chuck Klosterman’s “Which Rock Star Will Historians of the Future Remember?” • 5 source minimum (see Annotated Bibliography) • 1 of the 5 sources must be a non-text object
Overview: In Chuck Klosterman’s 2016 NY Times article “Which Rock Star Will Historians of the Future Remember?” the author explores the historical significance of Rock, wondering what Rock history will look like hundreds of years into the future. Klosterman presents the idea that all forms of art are eventually represented by a single, wildly popular artist. He uses John Philip Sousa as an example, noting that more than 100 years after his life and popularity, John Philip Sousa now represents the entire genre of marching band music. In examining rock music, Klosterman uses Sousa’s dominance of the marching band genre to guide his quest for the “John Philip Sousa” of Rock.
Prompt: Use Klosterman’s article as a guide to explore any form of artistic expression. Choose a popular artist in a genre you enjoy, whether it be a form of music, film, literature, fashion, technology or other area of creative innovation.
• Create a thesis that argues for the enduring popularity of his or her work. • Analyze this person’s career: o What have they contributed o Why is it valuable? • Apply Klosterman’s concepts to your analysis and argue in favor of the enduring importance of this person’s work: o Why will people of the future will remember this individual as the representative of an entire genre of creativity? o Explain why the artist of your choosing is “the John Philips Sousa” of his or her genre (like the way Klosterman argues that Sousa represents all of marching band music and Bob Marley represents all of reggae).
You may select a popular figure in any of the following fields:
• Literature— a story writer, novelist, poet or playwright • Music— a popular musician in any genre • Cinema or Television— an actor, director, creator, or producer • Print media— a traditional or photo journalist • Fashion— a fashion designer • Visual Art: photographer, painter, sculpturer, or street artist • Technology—a game, app, or software designer
As you analyze, consider the following questions. In the process of considering these questions, you should conduct significant research to become better informed about possible topics.
• How does this person promote specific values? • How is this person’s work representative of wider social assumptions that are reproduced and circulated and/or published, including the scope and method of circulation? • How is the person’s work experienced or interpreted? • How does this person’s work contribute to and actively shape cultural ideals and expectations? • How does this person’s work support or revise conventional ideas, practices, or expectations? • How does this person’s work create meaning? • How does this person’s work participate in influencing the formation of personal or group identity? • What is this person’s role in society? • What essential elements of its form (visual or textual composition, style, presentation) contribute to creating meaning in this form of expression? • How does this person’s work adhere to conventions of a larger genre or category? (the “genre” may be action movies, men’s magazines, etc.)
After considering these guiding questions, determine which question or questions lead you to develop an insightful and informed interpretation of the significance of this person’s contributions to his or her field.
Audience: Your audience is your instructor and other members of the class, representative of an adult, educated, academic audience.
Length: 4-6 pages (1000-1500 words), not including the non-text object and Works Cited page
• Use the Essay Structure resource, along with the strategies from the LUMEN Resource modules to guide your essay structure and organization. • Include an original title (not “Unit Two Essay” or “Education Essay”) • Use MLA 8th edition documentation style to format your essay • Compose a thesis statement that argues for the enduring popularity of the artist’s work • Include at least five (5) resources from the CCBC Library Database • One of the five sources must be a non-text object (image, audio, video) inserted into the body of the essay • Organize the essay so that each body paragraph is providing support for your thesis (use “Essay Structure” resource and LUMEN modules for guidance) • Cite all sources using MLA style in-text citations • Include an MLA style Works Cited page at the end of the essay (not included in 3-4 pages of text)
GREAT Learning Resource One: Klosterman Article
• Which Rock Star Will Historians of the Future Remember.pdf (5.729 MB)
Klosterman, Chuck. “Which Rock Star Will Historians of the Future Remember?” The New York Times, 23 May 2016. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/magazine/which-rock-star-will-historians-of-the-future-remember.html?_r=1
GREAT Learning Resource Two: Elvis Video
Elvis Presley Mini Bio. User: Biography. Added 8 Jan 2010. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI7xvh07Jmc
GREAT Learning Resource Three: Dylan Video
Bob Dylan Mini Bio. User: Biography. Added: 17 June 2009. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wueasc28nO0
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
All ourbpapers are written from scratch. In fact, Clients who ask for paraphrasing services are highly discouraged. We have writers ready to craft any paper from scratch and deliver quality ahead of time.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
Our writers keeps you posted on your papers progress - providing you with paper outline/draft. You are also at liberty to communicate directly with your writer.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time, in many cases quite ahead of time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.